How to Minor in Anthropology
To minor in anthropology, you must take 24 upper-division units and any prerequisites. Keep in mind, lower-division prerequisites do not count toward the 24 units required for the minor.
You must take:
- Two upper-division courses (eight units) in cultural anthropology from ANTH 102/AHS 102, ANTH 121, ANTH 122, ANTH 124, ANTH 125, ANTH 127, ANTH 131, ANTH 132, ANTH 134, ANTH 135, ANTH 137, ANTH 138, ANTH 139, ANTH 144, ANTH 149/WMST 149, ANTH 160, ANTH 162, ANTH 163 or ANTH 173 (ANTH 001 is the usual lower-division prerequisite for these courses.)
- Two upper-division courses (eight units) from any ONE of the following subdisciplines (both courses MUST be taken in the same subdiscipline):
- Archaeology: ANTH 110, ANTH 111, ANTH 113, ANTH 117A, ANTH 117B, ANTH 118, ANTH 172, ANTH 178/WMST 178 (ANTH 003 or 005 is the usual lower-division prerequisite for these courses)
- Biological anthropology: ANTH 107, ANTH 129, ANTH 146/PSYC 146, ANTH 150/HMDV 150, ANTH 152, ANTH 158, ANTH 159 (ANTH 002 is the usual lower-division prerequisite for these courses)
- Linguistic anthropology: ANTH 120, ANTH 123, ANTH 167/LING 167 (LING 020 is the usual lower-division prerequisite for these courses)
- One upper-division course (four units) pertaining to a geographic area from ANTH 115 (E-Z), ANTH 140 (E-Z), ANTH 161, ANTH164/LNST164/WMST164, ANTH 168/ETST 148/LNST 168 or ANTH186/LNST 186
- One upper-division methodological course (four units) from ANTH 112, ANTH 114A, ANTH 116, ANTH 155, ANTH 171, ANTH 180A, ANTH 183 or ANTH 185
Any substitutions require prior department approval.
Please see an undergraduate advisor for approval and further information.
Questions? Contact us.